Sunday 14 October 2012

Day Trip to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath

I finished the week off by teaching at Roxbourne Infant's School in a Year 2 classroom. Not only is this school closer to me than other schools I've been at, the students were so well behaved and courteous... I would definitely go back there again! 

Early Saturday morning (5:15am!) I woke up to get ready for our excursion. We were out the door by 6:10am, and caught the tube to King's Cross/St. Pancras station to meet up with Kaitlin. While Jess got in touch with the travel company to arrange our pick up, I got myself a Chai Latte from Cafe Nero for some much needed caffeine. Then, we had to catch the tube to Victoria Station. We waited in line forever to get on the coach bus, but we talked with some Americans, so time seemed to fly by. Finally, we were able to load the bus, and we took off! Our tour guide Geoffrey was an especially insightful and funny bloke... I found myself constantly laughing at things he said! He pointed out some interesting things along the way. 
Dana and I sitting on the coach bus.
We finally arrived at Windsor Castle. It was quite something to behold! It was contradictory: you will never be at a busier tourist location that is more silent. There is a quiet reverence associated here... being surrounded by the history, the royalty, the wealth, the tradition... it was overwhelming. I will admit to being brought to tears as I walked around. I don't care if it makes me a nerd. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but we took as many as we could outside!


The flag means that the Queen is at home!



Spectacular landscaping

After we toured the castle, we met back at the bus for noon. We travelled to Stonehenge from Windsor Castle. There were some nasty rainstorms that we drove through on the way... and I had a nap! The landscape on the drive there was quite breathtaking. The rolling hills, the farmland, the vastness... it was a picturesque scene of English countryside. I loved it! We finally arrived at Stonehenge, and got to spend a little under an hour walking around and taking pictures. It was an awesome site to behold!



Jess, Kaitlin, Dana, and I
 From Stonehenge, we journeyed to Bath... where Jane Austen resided, and the epitome of historical greatness! I loved the Georgian style of architecture, and the story behind the Roman baths. With so much history, you could almost feel the people of the past. It was definitely spooky. One room in particular gave me goosebumps! 







On the edge of the healing springs. I wonder how many people have sat in that exact spot?
We got to sample some (clean!) spring water from Bath! Its water is said to have restorative and healing properties because it contains over 40 different minerals. 
 After we left the Roman baths, we toured the city of Bath for a bit. There were gorgeous gardens, and some lovely buildings to see! 

Golden Jubilee landscaping!
We left Bath a little after 5pm, and arrived back in central London a bit after 7pm. Then we took the tube from Gloucester Station, and arrived home shortly after 8pm. It was certainly a long day, but it was a memorable trip that I am grateful to have taken! I'm taking today to rest and prepare myself for another week of teaching. Although there are times I miss home, I LOVE it here. There is always so much to entertain, and I am so grateful for this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!