Monday 8 October 2012

Just another day in the life of a supply teacher

It's Monday- and I survived it! I woke up slightly better this morning, but still quite tired. I shall be turning in early this evening!

Anyway, I got myself ready this morning (curse you 6am alarm clock-- every morning, I always think OMG it's only 1am at home, and here I am starting my day!), and then around 7:30 I travelled to the tube station to wait not-so-patiently for my consultants to call with work.

Around 8:15am, Sean (who, by the way is a doppleganger for Ryan Gosling) called me up and said a school just called and needed someone. I had to make my way to Uxbridge which is the last stop on the Picadilly Line. As he was explaining this, I was fumbling with my Oyster card, and lo and behold, there was a Picadilly train waiting at the platform! I jumped on as the doors were closing, only to find out that this was not the one that went to Uxbridge, but rather, the one that went to Heathrow. WRONG! So I got off at the next stop, and waited for the next tube to come and take me back to where I started. As I got off of that one and made my way westbound again, an Uxbridge train came right along. I got on and bided my time to Uxbridge (which takes a good 40 minutes).

Sean then called me and gave me some directions from the tube station. I had to get off the tube and exit to the bus stops. He said I had to get on the U331 for about a 20 minute bus ride. As I rode along the bus, I kept wondering where in the heck they were sending me! I saw horse pastures and then major highways, and I felt like I was lightyears away from the tube station. It turns out that I was going to Harefield Infant School, and was covering them as teachers got pulled out for hour long sessions with the principal. I got there around 9:30am, which my other consultant Craig told me was really "well done" since I travelled so far. Here is a map for you at home to see how far these boys actually send us for a day of work (but I still love them):

I went to Harefield today. Last week, I went to West Drayton (Yiewsley more specifically) every day. See if you can find it!
I started my day in a Year 1 class for Maths, and then I took them to assembly. After that, they had wet play (indoor recess), and I had to move to a Reception class (Kindergarten, at home). I worked with them in small groups about what nurses do. After that, I was supposed to cover a teacher who I guess could be described as an LST, but they were in an important meeting that arose from nowhere, and I couldn't attend, so guess who got paid to sit in the staff room for an hour and a half? Yup, this girl! I also met another Canadian teacher, who used to work for Engage but is now on contract with the school. He's from Paris ON, and actually knew where Aylmer was! I was shocked lol! 

After lunch, I covered another Year 1 class, and did P.E. with them. This was by far my favourite class and lesson! They were adorable, and I actually like teaching them gym. After they were done, I spent the rest of my day in a Year 2 classroom, teaching them literacy. This class was quite behavioural, so it was quite interesting, to say the least, but I had 2 TAs for support, which was helpful. I ended my day marking their work, and chatting with their homeroom teacher who was shocked to find out that I was only a first year teacher who has only been teaching here for about 3 weeks. She said she hoped to see me again- which tells me I did a job well done!

Today I felt like a puppet on a string, and never really knew what I was supposed to be doing, but everyone was happy at the end of the day, so I guess I did okay!  Oh well, it was interesting, and it's money in the bank! And it's sure as heck more teaching than I would be getting in Ontario!!! I already know where I am going to teach Year 3 tomorrow at a school that's not as far away as the one today. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone at home!! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!