Thursday 4 October 2012

Teaching... lots and lots of teaching

Hi all! Well, I finally have "real" internet, so I can finally do a really long post. I wish I had been able to do this in real time, but I will have to just do my best recalling what has happened from memory.

The most important thing that has been consuming my time of course, is teaching! I have survived one and a half weeks of teaching in the British education system!!

Last Monday and Tuesday, I had "days off" because apparently the girls from the Canadian Office forgot to get one piece of paperwork, and therefore, I wasn't allowed to teach. The good news is, I got a percentage of my daily pay, since it wasn't my fault and my UK consultants are amazing (Seriously though, they are so fun!).

Wednesday morning I got my first call. I went to a school called Cowley St. Laurence and was placed in a Year 2 class. Well, I got lost, had to power walk for 20 minutes in the rain while my consultant was giving me directions on the phone, and showed up late at the school. Not so good for my first day. I felt like a fish out of water! I coasted through the day, just adjusting to the differences and behaviours. These kids are crazy! Anyway, I survived.

Thursday, I got a call for a Year 3 class at a really nice school called Colham Manor and I have been there ever since. It feels as though this class is mine now, even after just 7 days! I have been told that the school is really impressed with me, and I've been put on their "request" list for supply teachers! Yay! These students are growing on me, and I'll be sad to say goodbye! Part of me wishes that their teacher doesn't get better, but I know that's awful lol. So last week I had 3 days teaching, and this week I've had a full 5 days. I am finally getting to do what I love to do, and it feels so great! I come home so tired, but happy, most of the time. The little darlings have given me germs and I have been battling a cold for a couple of days, which is making me even tireder.

I know that next week, I'll have to find new schools again, which equates getting lost and navigating tubes, trains and busses. Dare I say it, this country girl is getting comfortable with the tube! Sometimes, when I'm walking home, it strikes me that I'm actually living in London, and not in Aylmer anymore. I've grown so accustomed to living here that it barely phases me. I truly do love living here, and don't regret the decision for a minute. Tomorrow I get my first ever pay cheque as a teacher, which I am really excited about, since money seems to leak out of every pore here! I will be spending some of my money on groceries and a grande pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, which is a new thing here, but we've known for ages at home! I also need to buy a few new pairs of trousers (we call them pants. But, if I say pants here, it really means underwear and the kids get a big chuckle out of that), since all of this walking has made my current pants a wee bit big!

And finally, here are some pictures of my new home on The Ridgeway. Yes, that is the name of my street- cute, eh?!

Our abode!
The foyer
Jess' very yellow downstairs bedroom
Our living room
The kitchen... that is our "washing machine" ... it fits about 6 articles
The garden
Bathroom
My bedroom!
View from my bedroom window
Dana's bedroom
Sam's bedroom
View from Dana's room

Well, that's about it for now. I think we're going to do some touring in central London again this weekend, so I shall update you about that as well. I miss you all, but now that I have real internet, we'll be able to keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!