Wednesday 19 September 2012

The Journey Here

I have a little bit of free time now, so I thought I'd type out the story of our journey getting to London with some pictures.

We arrived at the Toronto airport on Saturday, September 15 around 5pm. Dana, Jessica and I checked our luggage, and paid $100 extra to bring a second suitcase. We mingled around the check in area for a little bit longer, and then we said our goodbyes to our parents. We crossed into security, and I got to go through the full body scanner. Lucky me- lol, not! We then had some free time on our hands, so the girls and I decided to get something to eat since we hadn't really eaten all day due to nerves.
Our gourmet 3 course meal at the airport.
The meal was quite delicious. We made our way to our gate, only to find out that our flight had been delayed an hour and ten minutes. We sat there and just talked, so the time went by pretty quickly. Soon enough, we were boarding the plane! From here on, time seemed to go by so quickly!
Sitting in our seats on the plane.
Local Time and Destination Time. We definitely took the red-eye! 
We're moving this far away. No biggie, or anything. 
I can't remember at exactly what time we took this, but we were excited to be getting nearer!
The flight was fairly decent. We did hit a few spots of turbulence, but it wasn't too bad. After our flight landed, we followed the signs to get to International arrivals. Let me just say, this airport was literally in the middle of nowhere. It was so small compared to Pearson, and it wasn't really that busy. Anyway, customs all went by quickly. Soon enough, we were grabbing our luggage and exiting the airport. Were we ever excited to see a taxi driver with one of our names on his sign! We thought since we were about 2 hours behind schedule that no one would be there. However, our company hired him to come pick us up and take us to our accommodations. He was so nice and helpful! He loaded our luggage and drove us the 30 minutes to our hotel. 
Dana sitting in the front seat of our first "backwards" car.
On the drive here, I kept looking around, and pinching myself because I couldn't believe that I was finally here! We are staying at the Kings Arms in Ealing. It is such a quaint building! However, because it is such an old building, there are no "lifts" (elevators) and therefore, we had to drag all of our luggage up 7 flights of narrow stairs by ourselves. NEVER AGAIN, people. It was so tiring. But, we got all our stuff up here and now we only have 1 night left to stay here! (That's an entirely different story that will just have to wait). 
Walking towards the Kings Arms from behind the Ealing Broadway Shopping Centre.
The view from our window to the right.
The view from our window to the left. Those spike-y things are to deter criminals from breaking in (? we think). 
That's all for now! I have so much more to share with you, but you'll just have to bare with me while I continue to get settled into my new country! Hugs and kisses! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!